Thursday, June 9, 2016

Milan is a beautiful, modern city built right at the top of the boot of Italy. There are distinct sections of the city and one of my definite favorites is a little part down by the canal called Navigli. It is only a twenty-minute walk from our place and is quite popular with other university students who go there for a favorite Milanese dinner called Aperitivo. Aperitivo is a wonderful thing where you spend ten euros and get a drink and eat a bunch of little samples of different pasta dishes, cheese, fruit, and dessert. So just a little maggot’s favorite thing in the whole world. Little did I know that I was not Aperitivos favorite thing in the whole entire world. One night, Mary and I took Mom to show her the area where we would be eating for the rest of our time in Milan and stopped at a cute restaurant on the edge of the canal and started eating dinner. We could hear the canal flowing by us covered by the sound of people talking and laughing as the sun went down. Basically it was really pretty out. Later that night it hit me like a train and I was sick. I didn’t get much sleep after that so I waited for everyone to wake up while I thought about how much I didn’t want to go to class. I decided that I was going to brave it and make it through the day and marched right along to class trying not to cry about how crummy I felt. I got barely halfway there when I decided that school was not for me and went straight for Mom. I spent the rest of the day sleeping and had absolutely no appetite, which was something completely bizarre. Mom decided that it was my dear aperitivo the night before that was poisoning me and all I could do was wait it out and by the way Mom was a fabulous nurse. The next morning I woke up and was back to my normal self. The moral of the story is when you are in Milan and decide to go to Navigli and also decide to get aperitivo decide to not get the dish that should be in the fridge but has been in the sun for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment